COVID-19: Guidance on Cleaning Public Facilities
The Government of Alberta has released new Public Health Guidelines for Environmental Cleaning of Public Facilities during Respiratory Illnesses in the Community.
- Increase daily cleaning and disinfection of common areas and surfaces. Pay particular attention to door knobs, light switches, staff rooms, desktops, washrooms and other high touch surfaces.
- Cleaning refers to the removal of visible dirt, grime and impurities. Cleaning does not kill germs but helps remove them from the surface.
- Disinfecting refers to using chemical to kill germs on surfaces.
- This is most effective after surfaces are cleaned. Both steps are important to reduce the spread of infection.
- Use a disinfectant that has a Drug Identification Number (DIN) and a virucidal claim. Be sure to follow the instructions on the label to disinfect effectively. Alternatively, you can prepare a bleach water solution with 100 ml of unscented household bleach per 900 ml of water.
- Be sure to use take the appropriate precautions when using chemicals for cleaning and disinfecting. Consult the products Safety Data Sheets.
- Wash your hands often and well
- Avoid touching your face, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Clean and disinfect surfaces that are frequently touched
- Stay at home and away from others if you are feeling ill
- When sick, cover your cough and sneezes and then wash your hands
As this is an evolving response to a global pandemic and it is important to realize that advice and recommendations may change. We will provide updates and clarification on this guidance as information becomes available. We encourage everyone to remain up to date by following current recommendations regarding the COVID-19 response from the Government of Alberta. All recreation facilities are encouraged to post the following poster for the public to educate everyone on how they can help prevent the spread.
You may find updates and releases from the Government of Alberta at https://www.alberta.ca/coronavirus-info-for-albertans.aspx, updates from Alberta Health Services at ahs.ca/covid or through the Government of Canada at https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19.html.