Director Recruitment - Corporate Secretary
The Lifesaving Society Alberta and Northwest Territories Branch is actively recruiting for a volunteer Director (Corporate Secretary).
Please review the recruitment package if you are interested in the position. Applications may be sent to email@example.com
The deadline to apply is April 3, 2020.
Corporate Secretary Job Description
The Nominations Service Unit is seeking “expression of interest” from members who are interested in serving as a Director of the Board for the Lifesaving Society. Interested individuals are encouraged to review the Director Recruitment package. The Society Annual General Meeting will take place in Calgary - Friday, June 12, 2020.
Open Volunteer Director Position(s):
Director - Corporate Secretary
1 – Two year term
The purpose of the Board, on behalf of Albertan's and the residents of the Northwest Territories is to see to it that the Lifesaving Society achieves appropriate results for appropriate persons at an appropriate cost and avoids unacceptable actions and situations. The Board commits itself and its members to ethical, businesslike, and lawful conduct, including proper use of authority and appropriate decorum when acting as board members.
The Board will govern with an emphasis on:
- Outward vision rather than internal preoccupation;
- Encouragement of diversity in viewpoints;
- Strategic leadership more than administrative detail;
- Clear distinction of Board and Chief Executive (CEO) roles;
- Collective rather than individual decisions;
- Future rather than past or present; and
- Pro-activity rather than reactivity.
Director (Corporate Secretary) Requirements:
- A lawyer qualified to practice law in Alberta or the Northwest Territories;
- Understanding/knowledge of the Lifesaving Society business and activities;
- demonstrated and effective communication and interpersonal skills;
- able to attend Board and Society meetings (travel, nights and weekends may be required) minimum four meetings per year with potential of one or two of the meetings being overnight;
- commit to 60 – 80 hours a year for Board work;
- comply with Board code of conduct and Board screening requirements including Privacy legislation and disclosure;
- provide a criminal record check;
- provide two references indicating strong moral values (team player, trustworthy, confidentiality);
- familiar with mission and vision of the Society (see Director Recruitment package);
- demonstrate a belief in the Society mission, vision and values;
- a minimum of two years-experience with a similar Board, preferred;
- be a conceptual thinker;
- able to grasp the big picture;
- have a visionary mentality;
- be a true team player;
- demonstrated use of authority;
- demonstrated understanding of leadership;
- theoretical and demonstrated working knowledge of the operation of a policy governance system; and
- Board policy process experience and understanding of collective decision making.
Interested individuals for Director must be supported by two voting members in good standing.
Voting Member – Honorary Member, Active Member or Affiliate Member
Honorary Member – include individuals appointed by the Society and are in good standing.
Active Member – include leadership volunteers such as current instructors, trainers and coaches in good standing.
Affiliate Members – include responsible agency, corporation, association, organization, or individual in good standing, recognized by the Society and who have paid a membership fee.
To express interest and be considered for appointment as a Director – Corporate Secretary, the interested individual must complete and have two Voting Members in good standing sign the attached expression of interest form and submit it to the Nominations Service Unit C/O Lifesaving Society Office no later than 4:00 p.m. Monday, April 3, 2020.
- Two (2) references;
- Security check; and
Covering letter - indicating expression of interest and agreement to the terms and conditions to be considered for appointment as Director, what Policy Governance means to you, agreement to a reference check, contact information and the best time for the Nominations Service Unit Chairperson to contact you.