2023 National Lifeguard Mandatory Update
LIFESAVING SOCIETY NATIONAL LIFEGUARD MANDATORY UPDATE
Lifesaving Society Canada has updated the National Lifeguard program following a review to make sure its curriculum and performance standards remain current, relevant, and grounded in the competencies required by Canada's lifeguards.
The National Lifeguard program review considered:
- Demonstrated need and research evidence
- Consistency with regulations across Canada
- Alignment with international standards and best practices
The National Lifeguard program update also considered the 2020 revisions to the Society’s Bronze Medal awards. The updated NL curriculum acknowledges and builds on the Bronze Cross competencies to provide a logical and smooth flow from Assistant Lifeguard training into National Lifeguard training.
COMPLETING THE UPDATE
The Mandatory Update needs to be completed via the Lifesaving Society Online Academy (https://courses.lifesaving.org/). It is available as of today, April 17, 2023. This update includes an overview and orientation to the changes reflected in the National Lifeguard Awards programs and resources. All participants that complete the update will receive the required literature and resources to deliver the new programs.
The update is for all Lifesaving Trainers and Instructors who deliver, teach, and evaluate Lifesaving Society Leadership and/or candidate level Lifesaving Programs. These leadership volunteers are to complete the Update Process below.
THE UPDATE PROCESS
National Lifeguard Trainers and Instructors must complete the following steps:
- Register and complete the Online National Lifeguard 2023 Mandatory Update via the Lifesaving Society Online Academy
- Review and understand the Mandatory Update Implementation Timeline
- Review and understand changes to Program Resources
- Review and understand changes to Program Content
- Receive and review New Program Resources
NEW PROGRAM RESOURCES
New and revised resources include the following:
- The National Lifeguard Award Guide has been revised and updated. This edition of the Award Guide replaces all previous editions.
- The National Lifeguard Lesson Plans will be revised & updated following optional workshops where National Lifeguard Instructors will contribute to the identification of enhancements and updates.
- The National Lifeguard Candidate Workbooks will be revised & updated following optional workshops where National Lifeguard Instructors will contribute to the identification of enhancements and updates.
- The National Lifeguard Instructor Award Guide has been revised and updated. This edition of the Award Guide replaces all previous editions.
- NOTE: The National Lifeguard Instructor Award Guide will be sent with insert pages until existing printed stock is depleted.
- The Test Sheets have been revised and updated
- NOTE: There are now separate test sheets for original and recertification courses
ALERT: Lifeguarding in Action remains the primary candidate resource for the National Lifeguard programs.
April 17, 2023
- Launch of Mandatory Update
- New National Lifeguard literature and resources available
- Updated National Lifeguard Instructor Award Guide available
- New National Lifeguard Instructor packs available
- Launch of Updated National Lifeguard Instructor Course
December 31, 2023
- Previous National Lifeguard retired
- Affiliates and Facilities must transition to National Lifeguard (2022 Revision) Program
January 1, 2024
- All National Lifeguard Trainers and Instructors wishing to deliver National Lifeguard programs must complete the Mandatory Update
- In order to deliver National Lifeguard Instructor courses after April 17, 2023, National Lifeguard Trainers must complete the Mandatory Update
- In order to deliver the National Lifeguard (2022 revision) courses National Lifeguard Instructors must complete the Mandatory Update or must be certified on or after April 17, 2023
- In order to complete apprenticeship for appointment as a National Lifeguard Instructor:
- Apprenticeship must be completed in National Lifeguard (Pool or Waterfront) - 2022 Revision
- Lead National Lifeguard Instructor and apprentice must complete the Mandatory Update or must be certified on or after April 17, 2023
NOTES FOR AFFILIATES
The Lifesaving Society is here to support the successful launch and implementation of the National Lifeguard Program (2022 Revision). Affiliates requiring supports are encouraged to reach out by phone (780-415-1755) or email (Experts@LifeSaving.org).
Affiliates interested in bulk enrollment for staff please contact the Lifesaving Society.
During this transition period it is important that Instructors and Affiliates use the test sheet matching the program revision which was delivered.
Policy and Procedures
Affiliates must ensure that Trainers and Instructors meet pre-requisites, hold current awards, and have completed any relevant mandatory updates.
If you have any questions regarding the information above please contact the Lifesaving Society Experts@LifeSaving.org.
Leave A Comment