Sanctioned Event Warm-Up Procedures
Warm-up procedures for Lifesaving Society sanctioned competitions have been developed for safe and orderly conduct during warm-up. These procedures are to be followed by participants including athletes, coaches, officials and pool staff.
During the designated warm-up period, the Meet Manager and Safety Officer are responsible for warm-up procedures. Non-compliance with these procedures may result in a warning or removal of the participant from the warm-up, and possibly further reporting to the competition management committee for action.
The Safety Officer and Safety Marshalls will actively monitor the warm-up for compliance with the procedures. The Safety Officer should be notified of any swimmers who are participating in warm-up who may have special needs. Lifesaving Society certified national lifeguards must be present for warm-up.
General Warm-Up Rules:
- Swimmers will enter the water feet first in a cautious manner.
- No running on the pool deck or diving from the side of the pool.
- Meet Management will provide signage to indicate designated lane use for warm-up.
- Notices/barriers will be placed on starting blocks to prevent diving for the warm-up.
- Dive starts are only permitted in designated sprint lanes for the warm-up.
- Lanes shall be open primarily for circle swimming for the warm-up.
- Coaches and swimmers will allow athletes doing backstroke the right of way for safety purposes.
- Coaches will monitor athletes for warm-up.
- Meet Management may designate a sprint lane(s) and/or a pace lane(s) for the warm-up.
Specific/Sprint Warm-Up Period:
- Sprint and pace lane(s) may be opened for the last 15 minutes of warm-up or as designated by Meet Management.
- Outside lanes should be designated as sprint lane(s).
- Only one-way swimming shall be permitted in sprint lane(s).
- Sprint lane(s) and pace lane(s) shall be clearly marked with signage.
- The following statement shall appear in the sanctioned event registration package and in posted notices on the deck: "LIFESAVING SOCIETY WARM-UP PROCEDURES WILL BE IN EFFECT AT THIS SANCTIONED COMPETITION".
- Flutter boards and pull buoys are allowed.
- Rescue tube(s) and racing fins are not allowed, unless designated by Meet Management.
Sanctioned Event Warm-up Procedures (PDF)